Pages

▼

Monday, 28 October 2019

Anzac Biscuits


Traditionally, Anzac biscuits are made from butter. In this recipe, I've substituted the butter for coconut oil, or you could use a vegan butter, like Nuttelex, or Nuttelex lite. You could use olive oil, but I wouldn't recommend it, as olive oil has a stronger taste. If you choose to do this, I recommend a "light" or "pure" olive oil, as they have a less strong taste than extra-virgin olive oil.

I've also tried to make this recipe a little healthier by halving the amount of sugar normally used. Coconut sugar is very slightly better than brown sugar, but it's still sugar.
There are recipes that also substitute brown sugar with rice malt syrup. However, if doing this, I would recommend adding the rice malt syrup to the wet ingredients, and removing the golden syrup. You could add maple syrup instead, but it wouldn't have that Aussie, traditional, Anzac biscuit taste.



What you'll need

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar, or coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon bi-car soda

What to do

Mix oats, flour, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

In a pan, melt the oil, golden syrup, and water in a pan.

Add the bi-carb soda, and watch it foam up!

Add the wet mix to the dry mix. Mix well.

Take small tablespoon sized scoops, and roll into balls.

Place on a tray, well spaced apart.

Bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.